Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Answered Prayers

It's been over a month since I posted something. When one doesn't have time or inspiration to write something new, what does one do? Take some external help, ofcourse. So here is a poem that I came across recently:

I prayed for glory; and heard my name
Sung by sweet children and by hoary men.
But ah! the hurts, the hurts that came with fame!
I was not happy then.

I prayed for love, and had my soul's desire,
Through quivering heart and body and through brain
There swept the flame of its devouring fire;
And there the scars remain.

I prayed for a contented mind. At length
Great light upon my darkened spirit burst,
Great peace fell on me, also, and great strength.
Oh! had that prayer been first!

- Ella Wheeler Wilcox (1850-1919), "Answered Prayers"
As an aside, I cannot help but wondering how fortunate the poetess is..all her prayers seems to have been readily answered!

0 comments: